At San Mateo Cosmetic Dentistry, Patient Comfort is Our Concern
Are you postponing a trip to the dentist because of anxiety? You’re not alone.
Dental apprehension is understandable, especially with unfamiliar surroundings and technology. Perhaps there was a previous unpleasant experience or there’s a fear of discomfort. Some even feel a loss of control as they’re in the chair being tended to by the care team.
Does that sound familiar?
Worry is only natural, but delaying dental care is not always the wisest choice. Conditions may worsen, pain may increase, and even aspects of overall health can be affected when dental issues are left untreated.
For example, delayed dental cleanings may lead to gum disease or cavities. A cavity not filled may allow decay to spread. An untreated cracked or broken tooth may lead to increased sensitivity, cavities, or tooth loss.
Comfortable Care at San Mateo Center for Cosmetic Dentistry
Whether your appointment is for restorative care or a smile makeover, our dental office understands there may be some apprehension. Here’s how we’ll help you relax:
- Our knowledgeable, experienced dental care team is careful to listen, answer questions, and explain what they’re doing as they go along.
- Our office environment is comfortable and quiet, with an atmosphere that is calming and restful.
- We offer movies, headphones, warm neck pillows, and warm towels to help put you at ease.
- Dr. Michael Wong also offers IV sedation dentistry to ease anxiety and pain during complex procedures.
What You Can Do
There are also a few steps you can take to help alleviate your anxiety:
- Don’t be shy about sharing your feelings. Be assertive in telling your dentist about your anxiety — that way the team can take steps to ensure you are comfortable.
- Be sure to ask questions and talk over your expectations.
- Ask the dentist to establish a cue (such as raising your right hand) when you need to take a break.
We’re in the business of creating beautiful smiles, and it’s our goal to provide a pleasant dental experience, no matter your treatment plan. If you’re delaying dental care — or would like to know more about our services — contact us anytime.