Dental implants provide a natural looking and durable solution to replace a lost tooth or teeth, due to injury or disease. Dramatically improve your health, quality of life, and self-esteem by permanently replacing missing teeth using dental implants.
How Dental Implants Work
Implant dentistry is one of the most successful options available for replacing missing teeth. The implant itself is a small, titanium post, which is surgically placed in your jawbone. After a time, the implant fuses with the bone and is supported by the gum tissue, much the same way that the natural tooth root would provide stability and strength to a tooth. Then a replacement dental crown, bridge or denture is attached to the metal post, providing a permanent solution that looks and works like your natural teeth.
Benefits of Implant Dentistry
Having dental implants placed offers many benefits. Some of these benefits you can enjoy are:
- High Success Rate – Decades of research have shown that with proper dental hygiene, dental implants have a success rate around 95%..
- Strong As Natural Teeth – Because the dental implant is anchored in the bone, it will offer the same biting force as a natural tooth. Smile, speak and eat with ease.
- Long Lasting Solution – Unlike dentures and bridges, which may need to be replaced up to 3 times, dental implants can last a lifetime (with proper dental hygiene).
- Saves Adjacent Healthy Teeth – Neighboring teeth aren’t harmed or affected since they are not used for support, as they would be for a dental bridge.
- Comfortable Anchor for Denture or Bridge – For better comfort and function, dental implants can secure a removable bridge or denture
- Easy to Maintain – Dental implants are cared for as if they are natural teeth—brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits. If dentures or bridges are anchored by implants, they can be easily removed for cleaning, and then easily and securely replaced.
Dental Implant Procedure
Dr. Michael Wong can determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants. First the dental implant is attached to the jawbone by an oral surgeon. A few months later, after the implant has fused with the bone, a replacement tooth or crown will be placed on top of the implant by Dr. Wong. A fixed bridge or removable denture can also be anchored by a dental implant to provide comfort and stability.
Why It Is Important to Replace Missing Teeth
Missing teeth affect the way the jaw closes, making it difficult to chew food, and creating bite and jaw joint problems (TMJ, etc.). The jawbone disintegrates over time, making future restorations difficult or impossible. The remaining teeth begin to tilt and drift. The shape of the face can become altered. Missing teeth affect confidence and well-being, and impact professional and social opportunities.
Determining If Dental Implants Are Right For You
Dental Implants are among the most successful dental procedures performed. The following factors will help determine if you are a good candidate:
- Good Oral Health – If your health allows for routine dental treatment, you are probably a candidate for implant dentistry, as long as there is adequate bone structure.
- Dental Hygiene – Implants are highly successful when the patient is committed to good dental hygiene, including brushing, flossing and regular dental exams. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Age – Implants are an excellent solution regardless of age. However, with only a few exceptions, implants are usually postponed in children until their jawbone is mature..
- Dentures – Anchoring your removable denture or bridge with dental implants provides greater stability, natural biting force, and improved comfort.
- Smoking – Although smoking lowers the success rate of dental implants, it doesn’t eliminate the possibility of being a candidate.
Determining if you are a good candidate begins with one easy step. Contact Dr. Michael Wong today at the San Mateo Center for Cosmetic Dentistry or simply fill in the short form on the right to schedule a complimentary implant dentistry consultation. Dr. Wong will answer your questions about dental implants, evaluate your situation, and suggest the best solution for you.